- ESP8266 is a highly integrated chip designed for the needs of a new connected world. It offers a complete and self-contained Wi-Fi networking solution, allowing it to either host the application or to offload all Wi-Fi networking functions from another application processor.
- NodeMCU is an open source IOT platform. It uses the Lua scripting language. It is based on the eLua project, and built on the ESP8266 SDK 0.9.5.X
- It uses many open source projects, such as lua-cjson,and spiffs. It includes firmware which runs on the ESP8266 Wi-Fi SoC, and hardwarewhich is based on the ESP-12 module.
- It uses CP2102 as UART bridge, and can flash firmware automatically by using nodemcu-flasher. It support apple’s MAC OS.
- It is an integrated unit with all available resources on board. It is super simple to complement your existing Arduino projects or any development board that has I/O pins available.
How to use:
- Download the Arduino IDE, the latest version.
- Install the IDE
- Set up your Arduino IDE as: Go to File->Preferences and copy the URL below to get the ESP board manager extensions: http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json Placing the http:// before the URL lets the Arduino IDE use it…otherwise it gives you a protocol error.
- Go to Tools > Board > Board Manager> Type “esp8266” and download the Community esp8266 and install.
- Set up your chip as:
Tools -> Board -> NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module)
Tools -> Flash Size -> 4M (3M SPIFFS)
Tools -> CPU Frequency -> 80 Mhz
Tools -> Upload Speed -> 921600
Tools–>Port–> (whatever it is)
- Download and run the 32 bit flasher exe at Github(Search for nodemcu/nodemcu-flasher/tree/master/ at Github) github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-flasher/tree/master/Win32/Release Or download and run the 64 bit flasher exe at: github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-flasher/tree/master/Win64/Release
- In Arduino IDE, look for the old fashioned Blink program. Load, compile and upload.
- Go to FILE> EXAMPLES> ESP8266> BLINK, it will start blinking.
What’s in the package:
- ESP8266 NodeMCU LUA CP2102 WiFi Wireless Development Board x2